making complaints

There are a number of formulas used when complaining in English. It's important to remember that a direct complaint or criticism in English can sound rude or aggressive. It's best to mention a problem in an indirect manner. Here are some of the most common:
  • I'm sorry to have to say this but...
  • I'm sorry to bother you, but...
  • Maybe you forgot to...
  • I think you might have forgotten to...
  • Excuse me if I'm out of line, but...
  • There may have been a misunderstanding about...
  • Don't get me wrong, but I think we should...
After you study these constructions, take the making complaints quiz to check your understanding.

More English Functions
Disagreeing
Contrasting Ideas

Making Complaints

Asking for Information

Giving Advice

Guessing

Being Imprecise or Vague

Saying 'No' Nicely

Showing Preferences

Making Suggestions

Offering Help

Giving Warning

Demanding Explanations


Construction

Formula Example Finish
I'm sorry to have to say this but I think we need to take another approach.
I'm sorry to bother you, but I think you need to refine this layout.
Maybe you forgot to include his name and number.
I think you might have forgotten to finish the report on time.
Excuse me if I'm out of line, but your work has not been adequate lately.
There may have been a misunderstanding about what I expected from you.
Don't get me wrong, but I think we should concentrate on the Smith account for the moment.